I think you are going to like this meal today. I was searching the internet for a different freezer meal to make. I've been making lots with chicken lately and wanted to change it up. I found this meal and it looked yummy: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tater-brat-bake
I mostly followed the recipe, but added a few special touches! This is a great one to double. Make one for now and one for later.
Tater Brat Bake
1 package uncooked bratwurst links
1 bottle of beer (I used a malty pale ale)
12 oz water
1 can(16oz) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1 can(10 3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
1/2 cup milk
1 package(32oz) frozen tater tots
1 cup(4oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon brown mustard
dash of nutmeg
1. In a large saucepan, combine bratwurst, beer, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° Drain and cut into 1/4-in. slices. In the same pan, brown brats in butter over medium-high heat until crispy; drain on paper towels.
|Brats spending time in the beer Jacuzzi!|
2. Spoon sauerkraut into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.(I used 8 x 8's for this because it works better for me.) Top with brats.
3. Combine soup, milk, mustard, nutmeg, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk up so the mixture is very smooth. Drizzle soup mixture over the brats and sauerkraut. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top with Tater Tots.
|Ready for the oven or freezer!|
4. If freezing ahead, cover well, label and freeze now. Check out the picture below of how I label. Date, what it is, and directions help to make life easier when its time to bake it.
|Example of labeling|
5. If making for now, bake at 450° for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
6. To serve from freezer, let thaw for 24 hours in fridge. Uncover. Bake at 450° for 25-35 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
Hope you enjoy this! Let me know if you try it and how it turned out. I'm always looking for feedback.